Saturday, March 12, 2011

Uh, oh! I think I have a problem.


There oughta' be an organization for jewelry makers, similar to Alcoholics Anonymous called "Bead Addicts Anonymous" (B.A.A.!). The logo would be a sheep.

If other jewelry makers are anything like me, we can't go anywhere near a bead shop without spending bundles of money. When I initially started making jewelry, beads were my downfall, as referenced in earlier posts. But as my skills have developed, my addiction has changed. My latest drug of choice is wire...particularly heavier gauge sterling and gold filled wire (14, 16 and 18 g). I have learned to craft this heavier wire into round spirals, square Greek spirals, hoops and swirls, which can be used in earrings, as a focal piece for a necklace or bracelet, or even as links in necklaces or bracelets.

Working with this heavier wire is so rewarding because it is very sturdy, and bending it into shape takes some skill and precision, but the results can be stunning. Unfortunately, it is very expensive (the last 18g SS wire I purchased was $6.70 a foot), and the price of precious metals has gone through the roof recently. But I can't stop buying wire. When I touch that lovely, smooth, promising surface, I can just feel it oozing potential. I'm a goner....sort of like a lamb being led to slaughter.

That's where B.A.A would be helpful. If I just had a phone number that I could call with a sponsor on the other end who could help me "put down the wire" and "walk away from the bead shop." But alas, my sheep's brain just keeps on buying wire. No sooner do I get it home then I use it up.

Yesterday, I created two pairs of sterling silver Greek spiral earrings, one with a square sterling silver bead in the center of the spiral, topped by amber and garnet beads. The other has at its center a beautiful streaky carnelian flanked by onyx beads. The work is not exactly perfect, but I love the look of the Greek spiral. (See photos.)

Now, I've become a bit obsessed with the Greek spiral shape and see it everywhere...on the iron fence outside my apartment, on the awning of the nearby Greek restaurant and adorning a paper cup. Uh oh, I think I might have a problem.

Today, one of my dang dogs stepped in my bead box scattering beads everywhere (as you can see in the photo on the right above). What a mess! So I shut the door on my studio and went to a yoga class.

Until next time,
Bette


No comments:

Post a Comment