Friday, March 4, 2011

Ah ha! I discovered JewelryLessons.com






This is a great site for jewelry makers: http://www.jewelrylessons.com/tutorials/all It offers hundreds of tutorials, many of them free. They are provided by jewelry makers in PDF format and the vast majority are dedicated to projects; although some are "how to's" for various techniques. I spent $14 and received downloads for 13 tutorials. A couple are for techniques that I have been dying to learn, such as the Greek square wire spiral, but could not find anywhere else.

I also discovered another great bead shop, the Bouncing Bead, in La Mesa, CA. It has great vibes and some interesting things that I haven't seen elsewhere, particularly a nice artsy selection of lampwork beads. I have now visited approximately half a dozen bead shops and found that each one has a completely different character, feel and inventory. For example:

The Shepherdess -- In Old Town, this is one of the oldest bead shops around. It's tiny and shares space with yarn and knitting supplies. Very narrow selection, but occasionally some really interesting beads. Some vintage beads that you won't find anywhere else. The Shepherdess also offers classes. I took a beginning wire wrapping class there, and it provided me with a good introduction to the basics.

Lost Cities Beads -- In an earlier post, I described this as the mega-mart of beads. Lost Cities is also in Old Town, in fact right next door to The Shepherdess, which makes for a fun shopping trip. While Lost Cities has a huge inventory, in no way does this shop sacrifice quality for quantity. Huge selection of Swarovski crystal and always getting in new ones. Have any type, size and shape of semiprecious stone you could wish for. Great vintage and antique pieces, including ancient granite beads from 1200 BC, antique coral from Afghanistan and ancient Chinese coins with a beautiful turquoise patina. Nice inventory of wire and findings all in precious metals. (I don't believe they carry base metals at all.) Wonderful selection of small gems. Lost Cities does not offer classes, but their staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Yone -- Located in San Francisco's North Beach area, this is the most interesting and quirky bead shop that I have ever visited; although I have only been there once. It is a tiny place, and beads are everywhere, hanging from the walls and ceiling, organized in trays under and on the counters, and stacked wherever there is an open spot. The proprietor is an elderly gentleman with years and years of experience. He can tell you anything that you want to know about beads. While there, I purchased some fascinating black flat triangular beads with pink striation as well as red translucent flat round glass beads that are stamped with gold moon and stars, opaque bright yellow glass lemons and beautiful ancient painted granite beads. I can't wait to go back. I used the triangular beads to make an unusual necklace with small black and clear glass beads (see photo above).

I have signed up for a five hour soldering class at the Bouncing Bead. Rather than commit to an expensive series of classes at a local college or the Art Institute, I have decided to take individual classes and use online tutorials to learn. I think this approach better suits my personality and gives me a chance to practice as much as I need until I master techniques.

Have also included above some more photos of the tiny little sparkly earrings that I have been making.

Until next time,
Bette

No comments:

Post a Comment