Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So much to learn



The technique that I mastered for the basic back wrap did not look anything like the diagrams, instructions or videos that I studied. I finally figured out my own way of making a perfect back wrap almost every time. After bending the wire using my chain nose pliers, I held the round nose pliers vertically (so that the seam opening is facing me) just beyond the bend in the wire. Then I wrapped the wire back over the pliers until it was vertical. At that point I turned the pliers horizontal so that the pliers opening is facing up. Then I continued to wrap the wire all the way around the pliers. Finally I straightened the loop so it looked like a lollipop and wrapped the tail around the base wire three times. Perfection!

I had entered the danger zone of bead-love. Candy cane glass beads, lampwork beads with little knobs, freshwater pearls of all colors and sizes...I was hooked. The next few pieces that I made were necklaces using colorful lampwork beads and beautiful new jade with those vintage clear beads that I referenced in my last post. They were nice, colorful and a bit whimsical. Perfect Christmas gifts for my sisters.

Then I turned to the small shiny gem stones...aquamarine, peridot and garnet. I couldn't afford to buy large stones, so I invested in a lot of tiny briolettes. Oh, sooooo sweet. So dainty. So perfect. But so little! How could I possibly turn them into the beautiful jewelry that I saw in my mind. Fortunately, I had a large lighted magnifying glass that bolts onto any flat work surface -- similar to the ones that skincare salons use to spot all the little skin imperfections.. I had purchased it years ago when I tried needlepoint and stuck it in a closet when I gave up on that endeavor. What a godsend! I could see all the details and began working with the tiny briolettes. I began creating tiny, dainty earrings, little sparkly things that moved with every tilt of the chin and caught the light.

I have now created about 15 pair of those sparkly little earrings and I still can't get enough! I know that my skill will continue to improve and I'll tackle more difficult projects, but this first batch of fairy dust will always be special.

No comments:

Post a Comment