Saturday, February 26, 2011

Welcome to "Twisted Wires"!



"Twisted Wires" is all about jewelry-making; although you're forgiven if you suspected it contains dark, psychotic musings. The double entendre is no accident.

Approximately 10 months ago I retired after a 35 plus year career in corporate America ... starting in 1974 as a junior writer with a benefits consulting firm and ending as a communication market business leader with the world's largest human resource consulting firm. At times, my work was rewarding and fulfilling. Always, it was demanding, stressful and political.

In April I made the decision to retire and move to San Diego to be close to my three glorious grandchildren, Emmet, Everett and Lilah (ages 5, 3 and 10 months) ... oh, and of course, my daughter and son-in-law. I embraced retirement with excitement and relief. Finally, after years of pleasing clients, co-workers and bosses, this would be my time to explore my "softer side," to get the creative juices flowing. I had always been creative - dabbling in candle and soap making, experimenting with Martha Stewart crafts, for example. But once I retired, I could go full throttle into the world of creative expression. Cooking, sewing, needle-pointing and finally jewelry making all appealed to me and offered promise for me to fulfill my creative desires. So where did I start?

I got a tattoo, of course! Not just a small flower tucked inside my ankle or a little heart on my backside. No, I needed to make a statement about my newly released creative side. And, of course, the tattoo had to be representative of something important. So, here's what I did: I worked with an incredibly talented tattoo artist in San Diego, who created a magnificent 14 inch tall tattoo consisting of three poppies on stems plus a little bud all climbing up the outside of my left calf, one flower for each of my grandchildren and the bud for an unfortunate first pregnancy that ended in miscarriage. It is stunning, if I do say so myself!

The tattoo opened the creative flood gates. I began sewing (baby clothes) and cooking. Then in September, I took a three hour class in jewelry making while staying at a fitness resort in Mexico (my last financial hurrah before settling into a restrictive retiree income). The course involved simple beading, but by the end of it I had created a wonderfully colorful necklace that absolutely captured the spirit of Mexico. In short, I was hooked.

Since then I have taken another class in wire wrapping and have created about 20 pieces in all. I am learning with each piece and can't wait to graduate to metal work and more advanced techniques.

So this is what this blog is all about...my adventures in jewelry making with some side trips along my journey into retirement. My purpose is to share my journey with you and perhaps learn from some others out there who are on similar journeys. Until next time!

Bette

No comments:

Post a Comment